The Chadar trek is one of the most iconic treks in India, and offers you the unique experience of trekking on a frozen river. In the summers, the Zanskar river rages through narrow gorges and out across the stark landscape of Ladakh. But in winters, when temperatures drop to sub-zero, the river freezes over, forming a thick sheet of ice over the river.
When the roads are snowed in, this river trek is the only way for locals to travel from one village to the other, and they've mastered the art of walking on ice. You, however, will have to learn this quite quickly. Your guides will teach you how to walk with the peculiar shuffling gait that you need to get by on the ice, and hopefully your trekking boots will help.
NOTE: This is a high altitude trek that takes place in the coldest winter. The Chadar trek is recommeded only to trekkers who have previously attempted at least one high-altitude trek.
MEDICAL TEST: If you are not cleared in the medical test in Leh, you will not be allowed to join the trek. There are NO cash refunds in this case, but the operator will give you a voucher for 70% of the trip cost, to be redeemed for a year. No alternate arrangments will be made.
- Travel arrangements from Leh-Leh, as per itinerary
- Accommodation in guesthouse and tents on triple-sharing basis
- All equipment required for camping: sleeping bags and tents
- Common kitchen/dining and washroom tents
- All technical equipment required for the trek
- All vegetarian meals from lunch on Day 3 to lunch on Day 8
- Services of experienced trek leader and camping crew
- Porters and mules to carry common camping equipment
- First aid kit (including oxygen cylinders)
- All applicable taxes
- Travel arrangements between base city and Leh
- Environmental permit charges (INR 2,000-2,500 per person, to be paid on the spot)
- Meals during travel in vehicles and stay in Leh
- Porters and mules to carry personal luggage (can be arranged for INR 4,200 per person, for the entire trek)
- Any costs arising out of unforeseen circumstances such as bad weather, road blocks etc.
- Personal expenses such as tips to staff, additional meals or beverages etc.
- Adventure travel or medical insurance
- Anything not mentioned in inclusions